20 April 2013

Oglethorpe Monument in Savannah's Chippewa Square

Pride and gratitude have always mingled in the emotions with which Georgia has contemplated the career and cherished the name of Oglethorpe; but almost two centuries elapsed before an adequate monument to the great humanitarian was reared in the city which he founded. At last, under bright skies, on November 23, 1910, in the city of Savannah, a superb bronze statue surmounting a pedestal of granite, was unveiled in Chippewa Square.1

...the Great Soldier, Eminent Statesman, and Famous
Philanthropist, General James Edward Oglethorpe, who, in
this city, on the 12th day of February, A.D., 1733, founded
and established the Colony of Georgia. 
One of four lions holding shields at base of monument.
This shield bears the Georgia State Seal.
All photos © 2010-2013 S. Lincecum

Footnote:

1. Ancestry.com. Georgia's Landmarks, Memorials and Legends [images on-line]. Provo, UT: The Generations Network, Inc., 2005.
Original data: Knight, Lucian Lamar. Georgia's Landmarks, Memorials and Legends. Atlanta, Ga.: Printed for the author by the Byrd Print. Co., state printers, 1913-1914.

No comments: