28 December 2010

Who is "Old Tom Allen"?

Another interesting old news article. Any descendants out there claim him?

Macon Telegraph, Bibb County, Georgia
1 May 1909
(Viewed online at GenealogyBank.)

"OLD TOM ALLEN TO GET PARDON FROM GOVERNOR; A BRAVE CONFEDERATE

Convicted, He Refused to Make Known His Identity -- Mysterious Prisoner


ATLANTA, Ga., April 30 -- "Old Tom Allen," an inmate of the state penitentiary, and one of the most interesting characters at the state farm, will probably be given a pardon by the state authorities soon, because -- well, because he fought under Lee and Jackson in Virginia and was a tattered soldier boy at Appomattox. He not only fought under the great Confederate leaders, but is so proud of that service that he refuses to make his real identity known, having insisted upon serving in the penitentiary under a nom de plume.

Tom Allen was convicted of home stealing at LaGrange, Troup county, in 1906. The trial was conducted by Judge Freeman. Before sentence was passed the judge was called away, and Judge L. S. Roan, of the Stone Mountain circuit, completed the term. The latter judge imposed sentence -- the minimum, four years -- for the offense.

Allen was a mysterious prisoner. No one knew from where he came or how he got there. When sentence was imposed the court tried to draw him out as to his identity. He declared that he was masquerading under an assumed name and refused to give the real one or to tell of his previous whereabouts.

"I served under Lee and Jackson," he said, "and I refuse to disgrace my old comrades by making my identity known," is what he said in effect.

He was sent to the prison farm, where his life has been one of comparative ease. But, according to the records of the prison commission, he has been far from an ideal prisoner. The restrain has palled upon him, and he has missed no opportunity to try and escape. Two such attempts are charged against him. It is also declared that he has been guilty of such unsoldier conduct as trying to stir up mutinies among the prisoners at the state farm.

Despite these bad marks against his record, it is probable that he will be pardoned -- because he is aged and he wore the gray.

Judge Roan, who very seldom recommends a pardon for any prisoner he sentenced, has written the governor and the prison commission urging that the old man be pardoned. In the letter he tells of the old man's heroic conduct at the trial.

23 November 2010

Macon in 1869

Cherry Street
Macon Telegraph, Bibb County, Georgia
1 December 1912
(Viewable online at GenealogyBank.)

MACON IN 1869

Many Recollections Are Brought Up By Glance Through The Old Directory

Only One Business House Of That Day Still Remains To Tell Story Of Old South


BY BRIDGES SMITH.

In the course of his travels about the city, looking after cases of cruelty to animals, Humane Officer Zach Rogers picked up a copy of a directory of Macon, printed in April, 1869.

Of all the business houses of that time, only one is known today, that of L. C. Ricks and for many years this was not in existence, Mr. Ricks reviving it only some few years ago.

A glance through this old directory brings up many recollections, all of intense interest to the older citizens of Macon. At the mention of the old firms and business houses the familiar forms and faces of the men then engaged in business, with the buildings occupied, pass in review as if photographed on the film of memory unrolled and projected on the screen of the present.

The first advertisement in the book is that of Seymour, Tinsley & Co., the firm composed of James Seymour and the Tinsley brothers, A. R. and T. D., with W. D. and Fleming D. Tinsley as clerks. The store was on the old "white corner," where the American National bank now rears its stately head. It was in this building that two papers were printed during the war, the Southern Confederacy and the Chattanooga Rebel, both having refugeed to Macon. It was here that Henry Watterson edited the Rebel, and where he began his career of journalist.

Diagonally across was the big grain and provision house, or "emporium," as he called it, of W. A. Huff, the largest advertiser of Macon in those days. One of his ads was a train of freight cars the full length of a column, each car marked in big letters to show its contents. This store was directly under Ralston hall, now the Fourth National bank, and occupied the ground floor with the exception of a narrow strip of the front, which was used as a cigar and tobacco store by Jasper Block, the father of Alex and Nick Block, of this day and time, and a small dry goods store kept by B. Dub, now in Savannah.

Solomon and Joseph Waxelbaum carried on an immense dry goods establishment in Triangular block, about where the old curiosity shop is now. The sons of these two well-known and highly-respected merchants are now in business.

Henry N. Ells had a place on Mulberry street, now the European hotel, and dealt in fancy groceries, wines and liquors, with a restaurant upstairs. In those days restaurants were partitioned into stalls, instead of one large room with small tables in the open, as now, and oysters were served in chafing dishes, your stew kept hot with the little spirit lamp. Henry Ells was drowned in the Ocmulgee while hunting ducks.

Little, Smith & Co. were dealers in saddlery and harness, employing a large force of harnessmakers, and their place of business was in the vicinity of the Palace theater. The firm was composed of D. S. Little, Davis Smith and Henry P. Wescott, father of Deputy Sheriff Sam Westcott.

Earnest Peschke had a jewelry store in the rear of Boardman's book store, corner Mulberry and Second. This store was later kept by Capt. Joseph E. Wells, who at the time was clerking for the big dry goods house of J. B. Ross & Son, where the P. D. Willingham furniture store is now.

W. J. and J. S. Lawton did a wholesale produce, cotton and commission business on Fourth street, now Broadway, near Cherry street.

J. H. Otto had a watchmaking and jewelry establishment on Cherry, near where R. S. Thorpe & Sons are now. He was the father of Julius Otto, and was the city timekeeper for many years, and those were days before watches were cheap enough to be numerous, consequently the town clock was of more importance than it is now.

The Dixie works made sash, blinds and doors on the corner below the Park hotel, and the mill was run by Guernsey, Wing & Bryant at that time. Later the firm was Guernsey, Bartrum & Hendrix. It was at these works that matches were made during the war.

The drug store on the corner of Third and Mulberry was kept by Dr. I. L. Harris and Harris W. Clay, they having succeeded Massenburg & Son. Originally this was the store of E. L. Strohecker, the druggist.

The book store of J. M. Boardman was where Chapman's pharmacy is now, corner Mulberry and Second. It was here that Capt. C. C. Conner was clerk so long. This store was later kept by W. M. Pendleton and Walter T. Ross.

There were four furniture stores. B. F. Ross had his store where the Atlantic and Pacific Tea Store is now; W. and E. P. Taylor, where the Majestic theater is; Thomas Wood, next to the Hotel Lanier, and Greenville Wood, near the corner of Third and Wharf, now Ocmulgee, streets. The latter was a manufacturer of furniture. In those days there was a top made for the boys by the Taylors, and as they cost more than the regular Dutch top, being slowly turned by hand, it was the proud boast of a boy that he owned a Taylor top.

Another large dry goods house was that of E. Feuchtwanger, on Triangular block. This firm dealt largely in the cloth manufactured by Southern mills, notably the Eagle and Phoenix of Columbus.

There were two banks, the City and the First National, and three private banking houses, those of Cubbedge & Hazlehurst, Georgia Mutual Fire and Life Insurance Banking company, and I. C. Plant.

The hotels at that time were the Lanier House (now Hotel Lanier) kept by B. W. Collier and Boys, of Indian Springs; Brown's Hotel by E. E. Brown and his son, William F.; Planter's Hotel, by B. F. Dense, kept where The Telegraph is now; Byington's Hotel, by George W. and Charles W. Byington, where the Planter's Hotel is now, and the Stubblefield House, now the Arcadia, and was kept by Mark Isaacs.

Macon had a business college, known as Euston's Commercial college, and it was located over where Chapman's Pharmacy is now. Later B. B. Euston, the principal, associated George R. Levison with him.

Elijah Bond, who was in charge of the city's store for supplying widows and others with provisions during the war, and who was made postmaster by Grant, had a provision store near where A. & P. tea store is now.

Crahart & Curd had one of the largest hardware stores in this section, and it was located about where the Western Union had its office. This firm did an immense business.

D. C. Hodgkins & Son dealt exclusively in firearms, fishing tackle and sporting goods. Their store building still stands on Mulberry street, near Third. During the war the Hodgkins made an arrangement with the Confederate government for the manufacture of compressed lead bullets for cartridges.

John W. O'Connor was a large dealer in whiskies, brandies and wines. He had a store on Cherry street, near Third. Perry G. Busbee was his clerk, and will be remembered as a most enthusiastic volunteer fireman.

There were five dental offices in those days: J. C. and R. E. Reynolds, T. J. Crowe, George W. Emerson, J. D. McKellar and W. P. Thompson. Dr. Emerson erected a building on Mulberry street, next to Loh's cigar store, and after a few years returned to the north. Dr. W. R. Holmes occupies the upper portion of the building, it having been built especially for dental work.

The dry goods house of J. B. Ross & Son was the largest house of its kind then in the south. It was here that many men who succeeded in becoming extensive merchants first got their training. The late Mayor S. B. Price was a clerk here at the time, with Peyton Smith, one of the founders of the present Empire store.

In those days there were what was known as fancy groceries, and the stores of Greer & Lake, George Barker and others, were as well stocked, arranged and kept as any grocery store in Macon today. In addition to the fancy groceries, they all carried a line of the purest whiskies, brandies and wines, and it was not considered amiss for ladies to trade in these stores, buying their sherry and madeira wines just as though it was so much vinegar. Jasper F. Greer moved to Glen Cove Springs, and Francis Lake moved to Atlanta, and both are now dead. Their store at the time this directory was printed was in the E. B. Harris building, corner Cherry and Third streets.

Porter and Hudgins kept a big produce and commission house on Third street, about where Blouenstein's is now. This was Samuel Porter, the father of Clint and Bee Porter of these times. He was later in the stable business. Capt. John D. Hudgins was for many years chairman of the finance committee of council. A. B. Small, the founder of the present house of the A. B. Small company, was a clerk in this house at the time this book was printed.

Matt R. Freeman was in the livery stable business, the stable being just below the postoffice. He was the first to add a hearse to the livery business. The city hearse at that time was a very plain and shabby affair. To provide something better he purchased a handsome vehicle, and this stroke of enterprise led to others adding a hearse to their stock of vehicles for hire. Judge Freeman was a fine judge of horses, keeping none but the best, with the result that his stable was very popular with the young men who wanted to take their girls out riding on afternoons.

Jones, Baxter & Day, composed of George S. Jones, Dr. J. S. Baxter and J. E. Day, had a general grocery and produce business on Cotton avenue, near Cherry street.

Cauthron & Pratt carried on an auction business near where the Lester Clark shoe store is now. L. H. Bryant & Co. had another auction house on Second street, in Triangular block.

Macon was always an extensive cotton market, and at this time there were as many cotton warehouses as now, and a greater number of cotton buyers, or merchants as they were called then. The advertisers were Jonathan Collins & Son, on Third street, near Poplar, where the Dannenberg store is now. Adams, Jones and Reynolds had their warehouse nearly opposite Steve Wright's drug store. The warehouse of Thomas Hardeman and O. G. Sparks was on the corner of Poplar and Third, where the Flourney grocery company is now.

George R. Barker's fancy grocery was on Cotton avenue, where the Office saloon is now. Every old citizen in Macon will remember George R. Barker as one of Macon's best citizens.

The only wood dealer mentioned is Capt. George A. Dure, father of Leon S. Dure, who had an extensive woodyard and lumber plant opposite the old Macon and Brunswick depot, near where the Acme brewery is now.

The saddlery and harness house of G. Bernd was then becoming well known throughout the country. Mr. Bernd had moved from Americus to Macon some few years before, and established himself in the old Floyd House building. Later his brother, Adolph, was associated with him and the business removed to Cherry street, where The Telegraph is now.

The old provision house of E. Price was then in Triangular block, about where the Cadillac auto house is now. Mr. Price was the father of the late Mayor Price. The late Willis F. Price was his clerk then. The other son, E. R. Price, and the only one now left of the family, ws then farming as he is now.

Another big hardware house was that of Wrigley & Knott, both members of the firm living outside the city. Their store was on Third street, about where Rankin & McWilliams are now.

While there were many fancy grocery houses in those days, there were also what was called family groceries, and perhaps the leading house of this kind was that of D. Daly & Bro. (Matthew), who kept where Putzel has his shop now, on Cherry street. Dennis Daly was the father of Recorder Augustin Daly. At that time there were only five Dalys living Macon, according to the directory, and all of these, Dennis, Matthew, John, Ed and H. Daly, were connected with the store and lived on the upper floor.

The leading milliner of those days was Mrs. F. Dessau, whose store was on Mulberry street, about where the Plaza hotel is now. Her store was a very fine one, and she practically designed the fashions of the belles of that time.

There were several shoe stores, one of which was that of M. S. Meyer & Co., of which Jacob Harris, father of Jesse, Max and the other Harris boys was the company. The store was on Cherry street, between Second and Third. The other advertisers were Mix & Kirtland, at the sign of the big boot, where the Idle Hour Nursery is now. This was a very old house, known throughout middle Georgia. There was another old shoe house at the time, that of L. P. Strong & Sons, with Edgar and Forest as the sons. The present Strong Shoe company occupy the old place. Jacob Schall had his shoe store on Cherry street, about where R. S. Thorpe & Son are now.

Another fancy grocery house was that of T. W. Freeman & Co., on Cherry street, where R. S. Thorpe & Sons are now. This was Tom Freeman, brother of Pope, Milo and Matt, and one of the quietest of men, beloved by everybody.

George Payne's drug store was where King & Oliphant are now, and Dr. Payne probably prescribed for more people than the physicians, for the simple ailments. Whatever Dr. Payne said was good for a headache, toothache, toeache, or any of the common everyday aches, was law and gospel. J. H. Zellin & Co. kept the little wooden drug store where the Taylor Bayne company is now, but did not advertise in the book. Henry J. Peter had a drugstore at the time on Mulberry street.

The big wholesale liquor dealer of days was L. W. Rasdal, whose store was about where the Metropolitan Cafe is now.

There were some fine restaurants in those days. The two old established places were those of H. N. Ells and E. Isaacs. The former was on Mulberry street, and the latter on Cherry street, and a part of the building used as a hotel and restaurant is still standing and used. At that time Tom H. Harris kept the Our House, finally the Kennesaw, and John McIntyre kept the Planter's hotel restaurant.

The Macon brewery was located in what was known as Collinsville, on what is now known as the Ocmulgee land, and now the property of Emory Winship. It was operated by Jacob Russell and Julius Peters, two good old German citizens, and according to the older citizens who drank it, they brewed the best beer that ever was. The brewery was a great resort on hot afternoons for the people, the very best availing themselves of the opportunity, who sat under the large shelter and drank the beer, after the manner of the Germans in the old country.

There were three foundries and machine shops. The Findlay Manufacturing company on Oglethorpe street, which has retained the name of Findlay to this day; E. Crockett's foundry and machine shop on McIntosh, later Fourth and now Broadway, street; P. Hertel's shop where the Macon public library is now.

L. C. Ricks was in the tin and sheet iron roofing business then, with his shop on Mulberry street, next to the Hotel Lanier.

There were several merchant tailors, the principle ones being Warnke & Co. in the old Floyd House; J. L. Shea, better known as Jack, whose place was on Second street, near where Virgin & Young are now, and Charles H. Baird, who kept on Cherry street, near Second.

George M. Logan was a general commission merchant, notary public, with an office on Second street. At one time he was one of the proprietors of the Lanier House.

There were several clothing houses, that of M. Hinsch & Co., on the corner now occupied by Joseph Clisby's shoe store. J. H. Hertz had a store on Cherry, near the corner of Second. Charles Wachtel, so well known now, was a clerk then and getting ready to start in business for himself.

E. J. Johnston had a jewelry store on the corner of Mulberry and Second streets, now occupied by the Georgia Loan and Trust company.

D. Good & Son (J. M.) did a produce business on Third street, where the Savoy theater was located.

There were several billiard saloons then. There was one under the Hotel Lanier and under Brown's hotel, but the most popular one was Andy Patterson's, just below the Lanier House.

Edward A. Wilcox and Charles E. Campbell were commission merchants on Third street. Mr. Campbell is still living in Macon.

The confectionaries and bakeries were those of Robert Waggenstein, afterward where Louis Merkel kept; Jacon Dinkler, father of Louis and Oscar, on Third street, the New Hotel Dempsey taking up some of the old store. A. Wannack had a confectionery store on Cherry street, near where the Wachtels have a clothing store now, and it was destroyed by fire one night by some boy across the street firing a Roman candle into it.

The painters were Christopher Burke, father of T. C. Burke; N. L. Drury, and the firm of Windham & Co.

J. B. Artope & Son (T. B.) were the marble dealers. Their place was on the corner of Third and Plum streets, opposite the Elberta hotel.

As there are many descendants of the men whose names appear in this directory of forty-three years ago, the following lists are given as a reminder of the good men who made up the male population of Macon in the old days:

Engineers: H. W. Boifeuillet, Alex Bright, J. R. Collins, John Donahue, James Flanders, John Flowers, William Boy [Goy?], Edward S. Graves, John Hancock, Joseph Harrison, Joseph Hartman, L. Huskey, George Joiner, W. R. Jones, C. Kearney, S. J. Kent, James Knight, Oscar Lagerquist, Charles A. Mathews, J. T. Mathews, John Mathis, J. D. Mendenhall, Frank Micklejohn, James Mitchell, C. W. Moran, A. Munson, Howell McAfee, Joseph McAlpin, John G. McGoldrick, J. A. Orr, John Phillips, R. G. Reddy, James Rice, W. W. Richards, E. Scoville, William Streyer.

Probably not more than two or three of the above list are living.

Machinists: Thad E. Knight, J. J. Lonegan, W. J. Mathews, G. A. Miller, F. Miller, T. J. Mitchell, M. Molander, Thomas McCall, Jack Radcliff, J. S. Richards, T. C. Richards, John Richardson, T. L. Sewell, Elias Sinclar, W. T. Streyer, John Streyer, Charles Sullivan, John Swindlehurst, Matt Thornton, John T. Wade, J. H. Boardman, T. Boatright, James Boone, F. T. Brown, John Caleston, James A. Campbell, B. F. Cawley, C. Collier, J. Coswell, Leroy E. Crockett, R. Cross, J. H. Fullen, F. Furlow, J. A. Fuss, G. M. Fuss, George Goelz, L. N. Green, Joseph Green, W. E. Groce, Dan M. Gugel, Charles Heidt, H. Herrington, O. F. Herrington, P. Hertel, W. Johnson, E. Kelhouf, James L. Kennedy, Archie McQueen, Clarence A. Williams, J. C. Wiley, J. W. Wilcox, formerly city engineer, G. S. Westcott, now deputy sheriff, C. D. Walls, William S. Wallace, George R. Wagnon.

Conductors: Jasper Andrews, J. A. R. Bennett, George F. Cherry, Carson Cox, George S. Dasher, Monroe Harris, R. G. Hollister, Eugene G. Jeffers, T. R. Jeter, George Lunsford, W. D. McCaw, Albert Mathews, Frank Shephard, John Sheridan.

Carpenters: Frank H. Alley, John W. Alley, Richard A. Alley, P. T. Bartrum, D. W. Beeland, Thomson Guernsey, John Berkner, J. W. Brinn, Thos. Brinn, John Britt, John Brown, J. M. Bryant, James Churchwell, John Collins, John Connell, W. V. Davis, William Dickinson, A. Eckleman, Robert Ellis, J. F. Freeny, T. F. Freeny, Isaac Gardner, W. P. Gelston, John Goeltz, Thomas Griffin, Thomas Hackett, T. C. Hendrix, William Higgins, Treat Hines, J. W. Hines, Albert Jeffers, R. A. Johnson, Henry Jordan, J. R. Jordan, Thomas Judge, P. Kenny, W. H. Kidd, A. D. Gilgore, J. A. Knight, G. J. Lanham, A. Landers, E. Martin, T. J. Mell, Jacob Millen, E. Millirons, Robert Mumson, P. McCarty, A. H. Nathans, J. W. Parsons, J. D. Plunkett, S. W. Poole, A. P. Rice, F. S. Schlinger, Jacob Self, James Smith, W. Snellgrove, James Teel, F. M. Thomas, R. Veal, John Ware, Thomas Welch, Henry Welch, C. C. Wilder, W. C. Wilson, William Wimberly, Miller Wrye.

Attorneys: Clifford Anderson, A. O. Bacon, Sam T. Bailey, J. F. Bass, H. W. Cowles, John P. Fort, John J. Gresham, Thomas B. Gresham, George W. Custin [Gustin?], Barnard Hill, Samuel Hunter, S. D. Irwin, James Jackson, R. S. Lanier, Richard F. Lyon, James T. Nisbet, Eugenius A. Nisbet, Robert A. Nisbet, students at law, Washington Poe, John U. Shorter, Thomas J. Simmons, R. W. Stubbs, John B. Weems, L. N. Whittle, Powhattan B. Whittle, Emory F. Best.

Physicians: J. Emmett Blackshear, J. R. Boon, F. G. Castlen, A. L. Clinkscales, Appleton P. Collins, Oscar Collins, James Mercer Green, Bose Griggs, C. H. Hall, W. F. Holt, I. L. Harris, George N. Holmes, A. L. C. Magruder, H. A. Mettaur, E. Fitzgerald, C. B. Nottingham, A. Passmore, C. J. Roosevelt, E. G. Sussdorg, A. L. Williamson, P. H. Wright, James A. Damour. Of all these Dr. Mettauer is the only one living.

County officers: C. B. Cole, judge superior court; W. S. Ballard, clerk; Albert B. Ross, deputy; James Martin, sheriff; C. T. Ward, ordinary; A. Dewberry, coroner; William Woods, county surveyor; F. M. Heath, tax collector.


20 November 2010

Three Women Ask Divorce

Another interesting old newspaper article -

Macon Telegraph, Bibb County, Georgia
6 September 1919
(Viewed online at GenealogyBank.)

THREE WOMEN ASK DIVORCE

Mrs. Laura Shaw Alleges Husband Sold Her Chickens and Bought Booze.


In one among three divorce petitions filed in the Superior Court yesterday, all by wives, one woman charges her husband with stealing her chickens. Mrs. Laura Shaw alleges that Adolphus Shaw, after stealing the chickens, bought whisky with the proceeds. The petition says that Mrs. Shaw stood for this, but that when, in December, 1916, she sold her cow and he threatened to shoot her if she didn't give him the money to buy more whisky, she rebelled. Later, the petition sets out, Shaw took all of his wife's belongings and left for Cuba.

The couple were married in Hart county in July, 1919. There is one boy, aged seven. Attorney Hubert Rawls represents Mrs. Shaw.

Mrs. Mattie Dukes filed petition against Frank Dukes, charging that he treated her cruelly, and on September 6, 1914, he joined a carnival company in Macon and left for some point north. She is represented by Attorney Hubert Rawls.

Mrs. Bessie C. Stone asks legal separation from LeRoy Stone, alleging that he cursed, abused and beat her with his fists on August 20 and 25. The couple were married in Macon on April 8, 1919, and separated last month. Mrs. Stone asks that her maiden name, Miss Susie Clements, be restored. She is represented by Attorney J. C. Estes.

03 November 2010

The Cockspur Island Lighthouse

Cockspur Island is located in Chatham County, Georgia just inside the mouth of the Savannah River. It is home to Fort Pulaski and the Cockspur Island Lighthouse. The lighthouse is located on an oyster bed islet off the eastern end of the island. The current structure was built about 1855 to replace an earlier light that was destroyed by a hurricane in 1854.

The first keeper of the Cockspur Island Lighthouse was named John Lightburn. He lived on Cockspur Island, near Fort Pulaski, and would make daily trips to the tower to service the light. The lighthouse's second keeper, Cornelius Maher, drowned near the tower when his boat capsized while he was trying to help someone in distress. Maher's wife, Mary, replaced her husband as keeper and remained at the light for three more years.

The Cockspur Island light was darkened during the Civil War, but it was surrounded by drama. Across the bay, Union forces took control of Tybee Island in 1861. The Confederates moved into Fort Pulaski to defend their position. Using their new rifled Parrot guns, the Union opened fire on the fort on 11 April 1862. Over 5,000 shots were fired by the Union and many landed and penetrated Fort Pulaski. When one such shell hit close to one of the fort's powder magazine, the Confederates decided it would be best to surrender. Even though thousands of explosive shells were launched and literally flew directly over the Cockspur Lighthouse, it sustained no damage.

Cockspur Island Light with the Tybee Island Light in the distance, to
the far right.

View of Fort Pulaski from the Lighthouse Trail.  Damage caused by the
Union forces' new rifled gun can clearly be seen.

George Washington Martus was one of the Cockspur Island Light keepers who served many years after the Civil War, accepting an assignment to the station in 1881 at the age of eighteen. Martus served until 1886, when he transferred upstream to the Elba Island Lighthouse. Martus' sister Florence lived with him on Elba Island, and for over forty years, she greeted all the vessels entering and leaving the port of Savannah with the wave of a handkerchief by day or a lantern by night. She became somewhat of a legend and was known as the "Waving Girl." A statue of her stands on River Street in Savannah. The final resting place of brother and sister is Laurel Grove Cemetery (also in Savannah).


Cockspur Lighthouse was deactivated in 1909, and the National Park Service gained control of it in 1958. The light was a recipient of a restoration project from 1995 to 2000, and it was re-lit in 2007 for historical significance.

The best way to reach the lighthouse is by boat, but there is an overlook trail that may be taken through the marsh from Fort Pulaski.


Post © 2010 S. Lincecum.

Sources include:

- Cockspur Island Lighthouse, Georgia via Lighthousefriends.com
- Fort Pulaski National Monument via U.S. National Park Service
- Personal knowledge of Stephanie Lincecum

Eugene A. Nelson, a Biographical Sketch

Source: Georgia and Florida Biographies [database on-line].
Original Data from Biographical Souvenir of the States of Georgia and Florida,
Containing Biographical Sketches of the Representative Public, and many
Early Settled Families in These States
. F. A. Battey & Company, 1889.
Transcribed by S. Lincecum 2005.

Eugene A. Nelson, city clerk and treasurer of Brunswick, was born in Houston County, Ga, April 12, 1858. He is a son of James F. Nelson,...

The subject of this sketch was educated at Dawson and Brunswick, Ga, and at Warford's College at Spartansburg, SC. He began his career as a merchant in Brunswick, Ga, and followed this business up to 1881, when, his father and brother having built the Ocean Hotel at Brunswick, he gave up merchandising and took charge of that house and ran it till the fall of 1884. At this time he was elected clerk of the superior court. He held this office, together with those of county school commissioner and clerk of the commissioners of roads and revenues, till January, 1888, when he resigned the first-mentioned office to accept the office of clerk and treasurer of the city of Brunswick, made vacant by his father's resignation.

Mr. Nelson is a man who is admirably fitted by nature and by his early training for clerical positions. He is systematic, close, attentive and business-like in everything; and his integrity is beyond question, as the citizens of Brunswick have testified by their repeated bestowals on him of places of honor and trust. He has filled his offices creditably, especially that of county school commissioner, having been largely instrumental in developing the public school system of which Brunswick now boasts, and which constitutes not the least of that proud city's possessions.

September 7, 1882, Mr. Nelson married Miss Dollie Ivey, of Brunswick.

He belongs to the Knights of Pythias and the Knights of Honor and to the Baptist Church, in all of which he takes an active interest and has held positions of trust.

02 November 2010

D. W. K. Peacock, a Biographical Sketch

Source: Georgia and Florida Biographies [database on-line].
Original Data from Biographical Souvenir of the States of Georgia and Florida,
Containing Biographical Sketches of the Representative Public, and many
Early Settled Families in These States
. F. A. Battey & Company, 1889.
Transcribed by S. Lincecum 2005.

D. W. K. Peacock, dealer in minerals, Cartersville, Ga, was born in North Carolina, December 8, 1829, and is son of Lewis and Harriet (Killen) Peacock. The former was a Baptist preacher and farmer, was a son of David Peacock, a native of England, and died in 1847 -- his birth having taken place in North Carolina in 1800. Mrs. Harriet (Killen) Peacock is also native of North Carolina, and is a daughter of William Killen, a native of Ireland. She has two children living -- D. W. K. and James.

D. W. K. Peacock was taken to Houston County, Ga, in 1831, by his father, and attended the schools of that county until fourteen years of age, when he removed to Bartow County, Ga, where he has since resided. He began his active business life in 1849 by becoming assistant agent at the depot in Cartersville, where he remained two years; in 1852 he opened a general store and sold goods until about 1870; in 1871 he became cashier of the Planters & Miners Bank of Cartersville, and the same year was appointed secretary and treasurer of the Cartersville & Vanwert (now the East & West Alabama) Railroad, which position he held until 1873, when the road went into the hands of a receiver, and Mr. Peacock became the general manager, and operated the road until 1876, when it was sold. In 1876, also, the bank of which Mr. Peacock was cashier discontinued business. While connected with the bank Mr. Peacock was also engaged in the manufacture of pig iron, and his career during the war is also worthy of notice. In 1861 he was appointed military storekeeper for the State of Georgia; in 1862 was promoted to captain and assistant commissary, and in 1864 promoted to major. He has also been county surveyor of Bartow County for six years. For several years past he has turned his attention to real estate, and has effected some of the largest transfers ever made in the State of Georgia. He is now making a specialty of mineral lands, in which his transactions are frequent and extensive. Mr. Peacock was married July 25, 1854, to Miss Sarah, daughter of Thomas Powell, and there have been born to him six children, of whom three are living: Edgar L., Lucy C. Veal, and Hattie. Mr. Peacock is a Knight Templar and a member of the Legion of Honor. In politics he is a Democrat, and with his wife is a member of the Baptist Church.

24 October 2010

Dr. Robert B. Barron, a Biographical Sketch

From Memoirs of Georgia, Volume II by The Southern Historical Association, 1895.
Transcribed by S. Lincecum about 2006.

Dr. Robert B. Barron, a leading physician of Macon, Ga, is the son of Dr. James Finney and Joannah E. (Shropshire) Barron, and was born in Clinton, Jones Co., GA, Dec 26, 1859. Dr. James F. Barron was born in Jones county in 1825 and has always lived there. He was educated at Powelton, Hancock Co., and was graduated in medicine at the University Medical college of the city of New York in 1849. He served in both branches of the general assembly before the war and was a member of the secession convention, being in favor of that movement. In 1853-4-5 he was justice of the inferior court of Jones county. He was exempt from active military service on account of physical disablity, but was one of four men in his native county who, during the war, looked after the widows and orphans at home, and in so doing spent all he had. He was married in 1853, his wife being a daughter of Capt. James H. Shropshire, an officer in the Seminole war, and a granddaughter of James Shropshire, a native of England. They had six children: James H. of Jasper county, Ga; William W. of Jones county, ex-sheriff and clerk of the superior court; Dr. R. B.; Jackson Clay, Jones county, lawyer and judge of the county court, now serving his second term, having been elected first at the age of twenty-three; he was for two years at West Point academy; Abington L., a teacher in Putnam county; Sallie E., unmarried. Dr. James F. Barron's father was William Barron, also a native of what is now Jones county, Ga, and was born in 1798. He was a farmer all his life, was at one time sheriff of the county, and died in 1837. His father, Dr. Robert B. Barron's great-grandfather, was Samuel Barron, who was born in Virginia in 1772, and came with his father to Hancock county, Ga, in 1783. He became an extensive planter, was one of the original settlers of Jones county, and owned several hundred slaves. He had eleven children and at his death left to each of them between thirty-five and forty slaves. His father, Dr. Barron's great-great-grandfather, James Barron, was a native of Scotland. The great Commodore Barron, who fought a duel with Commodore Decatur, was a first cousin of James Barron. The name James, has been given to the eldest son of the Barron family for six generations. Dr. Robert B. Barron was brought up and primarily educated at Clinton. At the age of seventeen he entered Mercer university at Macon, Ga, graduating with the degree of A. B. in 1881. Returning home he read medicine with his father one year, then went to Bellevue Hospital Medical college in New York city and was graduated from that institution in 1883. He came back to Clinton, Ga, after his graduation and practiced with his father until 1889. From that time until August, 1891, he was employed as physician and surgeon by the Southern Lumber company and the Wadley & Mount Vernon Railway company at Wadley, Ga. He came from Wadley to Macon and has since practiced there. Dr. Barron is a member and president of the Jones County Medical society, and also of the Macon Medical society; is a member of the Georgia Medical association and of the American Medical Association, to whose meeting in 1887 he was a delegate. He is past high priest of Constantine chapter No. 4, R. A. M., and master of Mabel lodge No. 255, F. & A. M., and senior of St. Omar commandery No. 2, Knights Templar, and a member of the A. T. O. (Greek society). In 1885 he received the degree of A. M. from Mercer university. He was married in the year last mentioned to Miss Willa, daughter of William Etheridge. In 1887, he read before the Georgia Medical association a paper on "Uterine Disorders," which was published in the report of the society's transactions. He has read many other widely-noticed papers before the Jones county and Macon Medical societies and is orator of the Georgia Medical association for 1896. Dr. Barron is an honored member of the Baptist church, and his wife is a member of the Methodist church.

22 September 2010

Dr. Robert H. Baskin, a Biographical Sketch

Source: Georgia and Florida Biographies [database on-line].
Original Data from Biographical Souvenir of the States of Georgia and Florida,
Containing Biographical Sketches of the Representative Public, and many
Early Settled Families in These States
. F. A. Battey & Company, 1889.
Transcribed by S. Lincecum 2005.

Dr. Robert H. Baskin, of Byron, Ga, was born in Houston County, near Perry, June 17, 1835. His father, James G. Baskin, was born in Abbeville District, SC, in 1792. He removed to Georgia with his parents when young, and settled in Wilkinson County, but afterwards removed to Houston County, where he followed farming until his death, which occurred in 1856. He was for many years before his death a deacon in the Baptist Church, and a firm supporter of its principles. His wife, Sarah (Goode) Baskin, was born in Wilkinson County in the early part of this century. She bore her husband thirteen children, of whom the subject of this sketch is the seventh. He was brought up on the farm in Houston County, and educated in the common schools. In 1857 he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. M. W. Havis, of Perry, Ga, and graduated from the Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia in 1859. He then commenced practice in Dooly County, remained there a short time, and then removed to Quitman County and practiced there until 1860, when he returned to Houston County, and in May, 1862, joined the Confederate army as a private in Company G, of the Sixty-second Georgia cavalry. He was soon afterwards promoted to lieutenant, and served until 1863, when he resigned, was appointed assistant surgeon, and was hospital surgeon until the close of the war. He then resumed the practice of medicine in Houston County, and in 1876 removed to Byron, where he has been in the practice and also the mercantile business ever since. October 1860, he was married to Muss Lucy F. Darden, a daughter of Edmond B. and Mary (Swift) Darden, of Jasper County, Ga. This union has been blessed with two children -- Mary K. and John H.

13 September 2010

Military Monday: The Vietnam Collection

Vietnam Online:

"Vietnam: A Television History was a landmark documentary series produced by WGBH. This collection contains most of the materials gathered and created for the 1983 series, as well as additional Vietnam-related materials from the WGBH archive. Vietnam: A Television History was one of the last WGBH series produced entirely on film. Starting in 2008, materials were reconstructed, transferred, and digitized for preservation and access."

The perspectives of citizens, soldiers, and key decision-makers, including Henry Kissinger, Gen. William Westmoreland, and Lyndon Johnson's Secretary of Defense Clark Clifford, are included among hundreds of original interviews.

The re-designed Vietnam Collection includes enhanced interactive tools that offer users new and innovative ways to explore, interact with, and comment on the media.

19 August 2010

Daniel H. Adams, a Biographical Sketch

Source: Georgia and Florida Biographies [database on-line].
Original Data from Biographical Souvenir of the States of Georgia and Florida,
Containing Biographical Sketches of the Representative Public, and many
Early Settled Families in These States
. F. A. Battey & Company, 1889.
Transcribed by S. Lincecum 2005.

Daniel H. Adams, clerk of the superior court, Macon circuit, Bibb County, Ga, was born in Twiggs County, that State, January 28, 1834. His father, Daniel Adams, a native of South Carolina and a son of John Adams of North Carolina, was born November 23, 1801, moved to Alabama in 1822, and in 1824 settled in Twiggs County, Ga, was one of its largest planters, and there died in October, 1880. The mother of our subject, Mrs. V. Adams, was born in Washington County, Ga, in 1805, and was a daughter of Ephraim Ellis, who was a planter from Maryland. To Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Adams were born eight children, of whom five were reared to maturity, as follows: Obadiah F., E. Bennett, Daniel H., Robert R. and George B.; three girls died in infancy. Daniel H. Adams, at the age of ten years, was taken from Twiggs to Houston County, where he was educated, going to the academy of Professor James Dunham for seven years, and to that of Prof. Henry Hudson two years. At the age of eighteen he commenced clerking in the store of Lightfoot & Flanders, remaining from 1852 until 1863; he was then employed by the Confederate Government as cotton shipping clerk, in which capacity he served until the close of hostilities in 1865. He then became connected with the firm of McGrath & Patterson, at Macon, with whom he remained one year, when he began speculating in cotton, etc., operating another year. In the spring of 1868 he returned to the old firm, which had changed its style to D. Flanders & Son, with whom he remained until May, 1885, at which time he became deputy clerk, which position he filled until August, 1886, when he was elected clerk proper, and is the present incumbent of the office. During all these years of clerking, for twenty-eight years he was also a magistrate. July 8, 1857, he married Miss Helen E. Snow, of New York City, and has been blessed with a family of eight children, born in the following order: Fannie, William H., Julia, Daniel E., Charles B., Laura, Mollie and an infant not named at the time of this writing. Mr. Adams is a Knight of the Golden Rule, and his wife of the Episcopal Church.

13 August 2010

David C. Adams, a Biographical Sketch

Source: Georgia and Florida Biographies [database on-line].
Original Data from Biographical Souvenir of the States of Georgia and Florida,
Containing Biographical Sketches of the Representative Public, and many
Early Settled Families in These States
. F. A. Battey & Company, 1889.
Transcribed by S. Lincecum 2005.

David C. Adams, merchant and banker at Fort Gaines, Ga, was born in Pulaski County, same state, February 5, 1834. His father, Thomas Adams, was born in North Carolina, was a mechanic, moved to Georgia and died in Hawkinsville in 1836. His wife, Charity (Goff) Adams, bore him three children, of whom David C. is the eldest. The latter was reared in Houston County, Ga, on a farm, and educated in the common schools. In 1852 he went to Randolph County, Ga, and commenced clerking in Cuthbert, and in 1856 he removed to Fort Gaines in Clay County, and engaged in farming. In 1864 he joined the Confederate service as lieutenant in Company E, in Smith's Brigade, and served until the close of the war. He then commenced the livery business in Fort Gaines, but in 1869 he sold out and commenced a mercantile business on a small scale, which has steadily grown, and he now has the largest business house in Fort Gaines. He is considered to be the wealthiest man in Clay County, and his wealth has been gained within the last 25 years. March 5, 1855, he married Miss Emily Cone, daughter of Benjamin and Sarah (Peterson) Cone, of Cuthbert, Ga. To this union have been born four children, viz: Sarah A., Edward, Ross L., and Frank B. Mrs. Emily Adams died January 1, 1883, and September 17, 1884, Mr. Adams married Miss Lucy Wood, daughter of William Wood, of Henry County, Ala. To this union have been born two children, viz: Lucile and David C. Jr. Mr. Adams is a bright Mason, a member of the Baptist Church, and in politics is a Democrat.

12 August 2010

Georgia Lunatic Asylum Patients from Bibb & Houston Counties

Georgia Lunatic Asylum
a.k.a.
Central State Hospital
at Milledgeville, Georgia

Patients from Bibb County, Georgia, 1853-1870

Source: Georgia Black Book: Morbid, Macabre and Disgusting Records of Genealogical Value

ALLEN, Nancy
ARMOUR, James
BUTTS, Mrs. Louisa
CARR, Lucinda
CAWLEY, Miss Shady A.
CORBIN, Mrs. Parthena
DENTON, James
DOYLE, Patrick
FREEMAN, R. S.
GARMAN, Miss Sarah
GAVAN, Eugene
HARGROVES, Jackson
HARRIS, Mrs. Anice J.
HIGGINS, Michael
HOLT, Iverson F.
IVERSON, Mrs. Mary P.
JOHNSON, Mary Jane
JOHNSON, Wm.
JONES, Polly
KRAATZ, Amanda
LINDSAY, Mrs. Mary Ann
MASTERSON, Mary
NEESE, Rev. James L.
PASSMORE, Mrs. Henrietta A.
PETERS, M. B.
POPE, Wm.
RICHARDS, Isabella H.
SIMPSON, Martha E.
SIMS, Miss Susan W.
THOMPSON, Mrs. Isabella
TIPEREAU, Amanda V.
WARD, Julia
WARNER, Frances W.
WASHINGTON, Leroy H.
WHITE, Joe


Patients from Houston County, Georgia, 1853-1870

[Same source as above.]

ALDEN, Joseph Lumpkin
BASKIN, Abby
BUSBAY, Benjamin
BUSBAY, Joseph
BUSBY, Mary
BUSBY, Thomas
CARSWELL, Miss Penelope T.
COLEMAN, Dr. Francis C.
GRANT, Mrs. Louisa
GUNN, Miss Julia M.
MCGEHEE, Dr. Edward T.
MURPHY, Wm. J.
RIGBY, Sarah Jane
THOMPSON, William H.
WESTBROOK, Richard N.


Central State Hospital Website

Central State Hospital Page at Baldwin County, Georgia AHGP

Central State Hospital Photos

08 August 2010

Christopher C. Anderson, a Biographical Sketch

Source: Georgia and Florida Biographies [database on-line].
Original Data from Biographical Souvenir of the States of Georgia and Florida,
Containing Biographical Sketches of the Representative Public, and many
Early Settled Families in These States
. F. A. Battey & Company, 1889.
Transcribed by S. Lincecum 2005.

Christopher C. Anderson, civil engineer, Hawkinsville, was born January 7, 1840, in Twiggs County, Ga. His parents are Thomas W. and Susan (Roach) Anderson. Susan Roach was native of Georgia. Thomas W. was born in St. Augustine during the Spanish occupation of that colony. The children born to these parents were three: George, Susan F., wife of J. M. Gatewood, living in Albany, Ga, and Christopher C. Our subject was one of forty-three who graduated at Mercer College while the same was located at Penfield, class of 1861. He enlisted in the Sixth Georgia Regiment of Infantry, Twiggs Guards. Later he served in Blunt's battalion of Light Artillery. He saw service in twenty-eight pitched battles, besides skirmishes. Twenty-six years ago this day, he heard the first bomb shell, and saw the first Yankee soldier. The sound of that shell was music, sweet music to his ears. He had been lying idle so long and drilling he was anxious to get to business; but before the war closed the sound of that death-dealing instrument had lost its charms. That same night he saw for the first time a limb amputated. The different battles in the order of their occurrence were as follows: Siege of Yorktown, Williamsburg, Seven Pines, Mechanicsville, Cold Harbor, Savage Station, White Oak Swamp, Malvern Hill, Boonsboro or South Mountain, Sharpsburg or Antietam (in his opinion the hardest fought battle of the war), Fredericksburg, and again under General Hooker, Wilderness, Cancellorsville, Battery Wagoner, Fort Sumter siege, James Island, Ocean Pond, Petersburg, Drury's Bluff, Cold Harbor (June 1, 1864), same June 3, Petersburg (June 16), same June 28, Petersburg blow-up (July 31), (April 7, 1863), Petersburg, same April 2. He surrendered at Appomattox. At Ocean Pond was shot in the side and returned home on sixty days' furlough. At Petersburg was wounded twice, not seriously. He was never taken prisoner, and his general health was splendid. The war closing, he taught school one year, then went to civil engineering, in which he has been quite successfully engaged ever since. He was married December 13, 1865 to Miss Laura, daughter of Joseph and Mary J. (Johnson) Tooke, of Houston County. Seven times has their home been made happy in the birth of children, as follows: Charles E., on the telegraph corps at Macon; Lela, Thomas W., Payton, Marie L., Alma and Julia. Mrs. Anderson is a member of the Baptist and her husband a member of the Episcopal Church.

28 July 2010

Bellview Holiness Church

Bellview Holiness Church is located in Pulaski County, Georgia. About five years ago, Virginia Nobles Koons provided some information about the church, as well as photos of longstanding members who descended from the founder.

"Bellview Holiness Church was established by my great-grandfather, George Washington Irving Nobles. He donated the land and built the church. He was a minister and is listed as performing many of the marriages in the county at that time. He lived in the Whitfield District, near Bellview, which was a Hardshell Baptist Church at that time. The denomination has changed several times. My grandfather, John Washington Irving Nobles was the church clerk for many years. My father and his siblings and cousins were all raised attending the church. It was a Holiness Baptist Church during my childhood, when my grandmother, Ida Mae Akins Nobles was still living and a member of the church. There was an article in the Hawkinsville Dispatch many years ago about my father's aging cousins who were still members of the church, all of them are now deceased. They were Stella Arnold, Ida Mae Moore, and Jewell Bridges, all daughters of Nancy Nobles Conner."


John Washington Irving Nobles, son of Sarah Jane Howell
& George Washington Irving Nobles, founder of Bellview
Church.

Ida Mae Akins Nobles, wife of John W. Nobles

Martha Nobles Coody, Gene Neumans (deceased), Jake
Nobles (hiding), Johnnie Nobles Moore abt 1991 at Bellview
Homecoming.  Martha, Jake, & Johnnie are children of John
Washington Irving Nobles & Ida Me Akins.

Jake W. Nobles

Rev. Clarence Howell Neumans also grew up attending the Bellview
Church.  His parents were Zachariah Neumans & Georgia Nobles.  Georgia
was the daughter of the founder of the church and first pastor, Rev. George
W. Nobles & the sister of John W. Nobles, who was the church clerk.  He's
on the left.  The gentleman on the right is James "Red" Black.

22 July 2010

A Near-Homicide in Berrien County (1929)

I'm somewhat of a collector of old crime articles in addition to my obituary obsession...

The Clinch County News (Homerville, Georgia)
4 January 1929
(Viewed online at World Vital Records.)

Newsy Paragraphs
Short Paragraphs of Interest Concerning Our Neighbors, State and Nation


...Over in Berrien county last week occurred a near-homicide originating from a broken romance. Randall Metts, 21, was shot from ambush by his rejected sweetheart, Miss Della M. Rayfield, age 19. She went on home and her mother twice took guns away from her as she was about to kill herself. The sheriff placed her in jail, and doctors say that Metts has even chance to recover. The two bullets lodged in his back. Miss Rayfield declared in jail that "I would be the happiest woman in the world if I could be Randall's wife," while Metts lying dangerously wounded indicated a willingness to forgive.

16 July 2010

Colonel Allen S. Cutts, a Biographical Sketch

Source: Georgia and Florida Biographies [database on-line].
Original Data from Biographical Souvenir of the States of Georgia and Florida,
Containing Biographical Sketches of the Representative Public, and many
Early Settled Families in These States
. F. A. Battey & Company, 1889.
Transcribed by S. Lincecum 2005.

Col. Allen S. Cutts was born in Pulaski County, Ga, December 4, 1826. His father, Major Cutts, was born in North Carolina, and came to Georgia in the early part of this century, settled in Warren County, but soon afterwards went to Pulaski County. In 1830 he moved to Houston County, where he lived until 1835, when he removed to Randolph County, where he died in 1843. He was by occupation a farmer all his life. His wife was Miss Elizabeth Linsey before marriage. She was born in Indiana. To their union were born twelve children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the youngest child. He was brought up a farmer boy in Houston and Randolph counties, and received only a common school education. In 1851 he engaged in the mercantile business in Oglethopre, Ga, and continued the same until 1854, when he went to Americus and resumed business, in which he continued until the outbreak of the war. He then joined the Confederate army and raised a company of artillery in Americus, of which he was made captain. In 1862 he raised a battalion of artillery, known as Cutts' artillery, and was promoted to lieutenant-colonel, and shortly afterwards to colonel. This battalion won a wide reputation by its fine work. At the close of the war Colonel Cutts returned to Americus and devoted his time to agricultural pursuits and cotton buying. He was at one time a man of large means, but like a great many others has met with reverses in business and lost a great deal. He is now engaged in cotton buying, and is one of Americus's best men. In 1872-73-74, he was mayor of Americus.

December 17, 1854, he was married to Miss Fannie O. Brown, daughter of James V. Brown, of Monroe County, Ga. To this union were born six children, viz: Claude S., Clarence V., Earnest A., Allen S., Inez M. and Eldridge H. His wife died December 8, 1886. Col. Cutts went to the Mexican war in 1846, and joined Company E, of Septoe's artillery as first sergeant of the company, and served in the battles of Vera Cruz and Cerro Gordo, and returned to Georgia in 1848. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and F. A. M., and also of the Methodist Church. In politics he is a Democrat.

15 July 2010

Alfred Iverson Branham, a Biographical Sketch

Source: Georgia and Florida Biographies [database on-line].
Original Data from Biographical Souvenir of the States of Georgia and Florida,
Containing Biographical Sketches of the Representative Public, and many
Early Settled Families in These States
. F. A. Battey & Company, 1889.
Transcribed by S. Lincecum 2005.

Alfred Iverson Branham was born January 5, 1855, at Lumpkin, Stewart County, Ga. He is a son of I. R. and Julia (Iverson) Branham. He is of Scotch-Irish stock on his father's side and Danish on his mother's. Both the Branhams and Iversons are old and distinguished families in Georgia. The founder of the Branham family in America came to Virginia and settled some time in 1700. From there the grandfather of Alfred Iverson Branham emigrated to Georgia about the year 1800 and settled at Eatonton, which has since been recognized as the family homestead. I. R. Branham, father of Alfred I., was born at Eatonton in 1826 and still lives there. He was educated for a lawyer and practiced some years, but his hearing becoming bad he quit the profession and began teaching school. He has been teaching now more than forty years and has been one of the most successful educators in the State.

Through his father Mr. Branham is connected with a number of other well known Georgia families, prominent among them being the Coopers, Nisbits, Boykins, Richardsons, Wingfields and Goodes. The mother of Alfred Iverson Branham was a daughter of the Hon. Alfred Iverson, judge, congressman and prominent politician of ante bellum days. He will be remembered as the colleague of Robert Tombs in the United States Senate at the time Georgia seceded, and, excepting Mason and Slidell, was probably the bitterest of the Southern members in congress in his denunciations against the North. Nor was he slow to act when the time came to fight. Although too old to enlist, he nevertheless shouldered his shotgun, and, marching to the front offered his services as a volunteer soldier.

Mr. Branham has three sisters and two brothers now living: Mrs. Charles Lane, of Macon; Mrs. Carrie Means, of Houston County; Mrs. L. G. Walker, of Chattanooga, Tenn, whose husband is editor of the Chattanooga Times; I. R. Branham, Jr., in the dry-goods business at Memphis, Tenn, and R. E. L. Branham, of Brunswick. Mr. Branham received his primary eduaction at Brownsville, Tenn. He then attended Bethel College, at Russellville, Ky, two years, and on leaving there went to the University of Tennessee, at Knoxville, which institution he attended one year. He holds the degree of A. M. from the Mercer University of Macon. After leaving college Mr. Branham went to New York city, where he spent considerable time engaged in newspaper work. He returned to Georgia in 1877 and began to teach school; taught private schools for two or three years; was then elected professor of the sub-freshman class in the University of Georgia. He held this position for some time and continued to do some newspaper work at intervals. Liking the newspaper field better than the class-room he resigned his professorship to accept a position on the Atlanta Constitution. On quitting this position he was called to the city editorship of the Macon Telegram. Afterwards he returned to the Constitution's staff and continued on that paper until he was called to Savannah to accept the position of associate editor of the Savannah News. It is a remarkable fact that although Mr. Branham has probably done as much newspaper work as any man of his age he yet never sought a position at any paper. On account of the failure in his wife's health Mr. Branham resigned his position on the Morning News in July, 1887, and moved to Brunswick, where he took charge of the public schools. He organized the present system in the schools there and the citizens speak in highest praise of his work as an educator. Mr. Branham married Miss Lucy Turner, at Eatonton, December 24, 1877. This estimable lady died at Brunswick, December 20, 1887, leaving two children -- Louise Julia and Lucy Turner. Mr. Branham is a Mason and an active member of the Baptist Church.

14 July 2010

Alonzo A. Dozier, a Biographical Sketch

Source: Georgia and Florida Biographies [database on-line].
Original Data from Biographical Souvenir of the States of Georgia and Florida,
Containing Biographical Sketches of the Representative Public, and many
Early Settled Families in These States
. F. A. Battey & Company, 1889.
Transcribed by S. Lincecum 2005.

Alonzo A. Dozier was born in Harris County, Ga, July 6, 1843, and is a son of Richard and Jane B. (Watt) Dozier. Richard Dozier was born in Warren County, Ga, February 22, 1815, and was a wealthy planter. He died in Muscogee County, Ga, July 11, 1887, and was for many years before his death a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was a son of Richard Dozier, a native of Virginia, of French extraction, and a noted Methodist minister. Jane B. (Watt) Dozier was born in Jones County, Ga, and was a daughter of James Watt. Alonzo A. Dozier, our subject, is the youngest of a family of three children, the others being Fredonia C. and Lovie E. Fredonia C. was married to Rev. S. D. Clements, of the North Georgia Conference, but formerly secretary of the South Georgia Conference. Lovie E. was married to Mr. Woodbridge, now of Muscogee County, Georgia.

Alonzo A. Dozier was educated at the common schools and attended one year at Geneva, Ga, and one year at Auburn College, Alabama. He also attended at Oxford and at Athens colleges, Georgia. In the spring of 1862 he enlisted in Company K, Forty-sixth Georgia volunteers, and was promoted to sergeant and subsequently to third lieutenant, then second, then first lieutenant, and afterwards detailed as captain to command Company H, Forty-sixth Georgia volunteers. He was shot in the right side of his head at Kennesaw Mountain, while in command of his company, three days after Gen. Pope was killed. In addition to this engagement he participated in the battles of Missionary Ridge, Vicksburg, Smithville, SC, and at Charleston, SC, and was along the Atlantic coast for fifteen months. At the close of the war he returned home and taught school near LaGrange, Ga, for a few months, then commenced to read law with Gen. Henry L. Benning, was admitted to the bar in November, 1866, and in 1867 commenced the practice of his profession in Columbus, Ga. He also practiced in the Alabama courts. He is regarded as one of the ablest attorneys of the Columbus bar. He has never asked for any office of any kind, but has devoted his time to his profession, and is active, energetic and painstaking in whatever he engages in. April 29, 1879, he married Miss Susie E. Moreland, of Houston County, Georgia, daughter of Isaac H. and Mary J. (Took) Moreland. Two children have blessed this union: Moreland and Mary. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is deputy Grand Master of the Golden Rule lodge of the State of Georgia; also Commander of the Golden Rule lodge in Columbus, Ga, and in politics is a Democrat.

08 July 2010

Local Soldier Identified 76 Years Later

"76 years after he went missing overseas, a local soldier is coming home. Flying in a C-47A Skytrain, First Lieutenant Robert M. Anderson of Millen, Georgia in Jenkins County, and 6 others, went missing March 23, 1944. The servicemen were resupplying allied forces near Burma, but never returned after leaving India. In 2002 a data plate was discovered from a crash site, and just last week, the 7...including Anderson...were identified." Barclay Bishop reports.

06 July 2010

Title Tuesday - "The Atlanta Riot"

The Atlanta Riot: Race, Class, And Violence In A New South City - Gregory Mixon traces the roots of the Atlanta Riot of 1906, exploring the intricate political, social, and urban conditions that led to one of the defining events of race relations in southern and African-American history. On September 22, 1906, several thousand white Atlantans rioted, ostensibly because they believed that black men had committed "repeated assaults on the white women of Fulton County," according to newspapers at the time. Four days after the massacre began, 32 people had died and 70 were wounded.

Another title on the same subject is Negrophobia: A Race Riot in Atlanta, 1906 - The roots of the 1906 Atlanta race riot are traced here through archival documents, news stories and from works by writers Booker T. Washington, W.E.B. DuBois, Margaret Mitchell and future NAACP leader Walter White.

[I have not read all the books posted about on this blog. Some are simply titles I found that somehow connect to Georgia's history. I am passing them along as possible resources for the historians and genealogists that follow Your Peachy Past.]

05 July 2010

Marriage License: William H. Beehler & Leila S. Potter


The following was submitted by Ruth about 8 years ago regarding the marriage of William Henry Beehler and Leila Secession Potter:
Leila married my great-grandfather's brother, William Henry Beehler. He became a commodore in the Navy, eventually serving as Naval Attaché to Berlin at the turn of the century, and was quite a colorful character. Attached is a copy of the marriage license of my great-great-uncle William Henry and Leila Secession Potter (She was born in 1861, the year Georgia seceded from the Union.) At the time "Uncle Billy" was a young Naval officer from Baltimore, who had lost his wife after only one year of marriage. The story told to me by one of his descendants is as follows:

"...Will was so broken hearted that he wrote a very popular book to the effect that those widowed on earth ought never remarry, lest they confound paradise. Bishop Potter, of Savannah, was really taken with the book, and invited the Commodore to stop in the Episcopal residence and sign his copy when next he put into port. Will did that and standing next to the table whereupon reposed the book, was the enchanting Leila Secession Potter, the Bishop's daughter." The rest is (family) history...

I had searched several different sources of Episcopal Church records with no sign of a Bishop Potter. The Beehler family Bible says the marriage took place in Atlanta. It was someone at the Episcopal Cathedral in Atlanta who found the Bibb County marriage license info on the internet... it is still a mystery why the marriage took place there when the family lived in Atlanta and Savannah.

04 July 2010

Robins Air Force Base: the Beginning, & its Place in Military & Aviation History

Wellston, Houston County, Georgia was little more than a small country community with a railroad stop, surrounded by peach orchards in 1940. Then came 16 June 1941. "The War Department officially announced today the selection of Wellston, Georgia, thirteen miles south of Macon, as the site for the construction of the Air Corps Depot..."

Very little was left untouched after World War II. Even in Houston County, Georgia, where no bombs fell and no battles were fought, there could be no going back to the pre-war status. The most far-reaching changes had come about because of the government installation at Wellston. More than any other development, Robins Air Force Base has provided the economic base for Houston County, and every human endeavor pursued in this county has felt the impact of what became one of Georgia's largest industries.

The task of turning cotton fields into an air depot was immense. The only man-made assets on hand were the railroad and the secondary road to Macon. Possession by the Corps of Engineers began August 1941. The acquisition of the land was made possible only by the partnership, which immediately was formed by Houston County residents and Bibb County promoters. The first official mayor of the City of Warner Robins, Charles B. "Boss" Watson, is given the credit for assembling the land from 26 different land owners. Since there was no city hall, he conducted business from his front porch at his home near Watson Boulevard.

Construction began following the groundbreaking on 1 September 1941. $14 million were authorized to construct buildings and utilities at the new depot. With the United States entering into war later that same year, the early completion of the depot became more urgent. The first buildings were occupied January 1942. The depot was in full operation within 12 months following the groundbreaking. Four depots were being built across the United States simultaneously. Robins was the last to begin and the first completed. In May 1942, 6600 workers were employed in the construction effort. There was not a day's labor trouble on the entire job. An area of 3,000 acres was purchased soon after the original purchase of 2,200 acres. Temporary wooden buildings were completed in mid-1942 at a cost of $3 million to provide a dispersed aerodrome for troop training missions.

While the construction was going on, an employment office was set up in Macon under the leadership of Karl McPherson to hire the workers for the depot. Most of these workers were sent to Middletown, Pennsylvania, and Fairfield, Ohio for training. The essential parts of the construction area were completed by the end of August 1942. What was originally expected to take 30 months was finished in less than a year. Production in the industrial area officially began in October. Troops poured in.

When first established, the depot was called "Wellston Air Depot." In January 1942, it was named "Robins Field" in memory of Brigadier General Augustine Warner Robins. He had been Chief of the Materiel Division, Army Air Corps from 1935 to 1939, and was Commandant of the Training Center at Randolph Field in Texas when he died in 1940. In October 1942, the depot's title was changed to "Warner Robins Army Air Depot." When the town rapidly being constructed adjacent to the field was incorporated as the City of Warner Robins 5 March 1943, everything in the area bore one or two of the late general's names.

The mission of RAFB throughout its history has centered on the maintenance shops and warehouses located there. The mission and workload concept followed for the first decade was based on geography. Robins was responsible for the repair of airplanes and components and the issuance of parts to the sir fields in the southeastern United States. Principally, the sir fields in the southeast were used to train flyers.

Before the base opened, its mission was expanded to include the training of supply and maintenance officers and men to perform these depot tasks overseas. The organizations that performed these tasks were known as air depot groups. More than maintenance and supply techniques were involved. These air depots contained military police, medical, signal, and several other supporting units. The air depot groups went to both the Pacific and European theaters of the war. It is estimated that 50,000 people were trained in Houston County in these varied disciplines.

The manpower to accomplish these wartime missions far exceeded the early forecasts given in the announcement of the depot's establishment. By the end of March 1945, the strength of the Command was 1,651 officers; 9,035 enlisted and 12,984 civilians. A year later, with the return of peacetime, there were 75 officers, 81 enlisted, and 6,039 civilians. Manning continued to decline until 1949 when the headquarters of the 14th Air Force was moved to Robins from Orlando. The Korean War prompted the need for continued military support, so the life of the base became a long one.

Curtiss P-40N "WarHawk"
Robins Air Force Base has its place in military and aviation history. The Curtiss P-40N "WarHawk" was part of the P-40 aircraft series that was the major fighter for the Army Air Corps at the beginning of World War II. More than 13,000 were built before production ended in 1944. P-40s engaged the Japanese during the attack on Pearl Harbor and the invasion of the Philippines in December 1941.

During the second World War, the Warner Robins Air Technical Service Command provided logistic support and depot-level maintenance of all P-40 aircraft in Georgia, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia.

Lockheed C-60A Lodestar
The Lockheed C-60A Lodestar first entered service in 1941. Powered by two Wright Cyclone engines, it was one of the fastest airplanes in its class. At the start of World War II, many of the Lodestars were pressed into service by the Army Air Corps.

The Lodestar could carry up to 18 fully equipped troops and was used for medium transport, communications, and training.

During World War II, Robins Air Field was responsible for the maintenance and logistical support for all C-60 aircraft assigned to bases in a five state area.

Martin RB-57A "Canberra"
The Martin RB-57A "Canberra" made its first flight on 20 July 1953.

The B-57 was assigned to the Warner Robins Air Logistics Center in the decentralization of the AFLC management in 1953. That made it the first aircraft weapons system assigned to Warner Robins for worldwide logistics management.

Lockheed YMC-130H "Hercules"
The Lockheed YMC-130H "Hercules" is used for many type missions: air refueling, weather observation, cargo hauling, passenger carrier, dropping paratroopers, performing electronic surveillance, delivering equipment, drone launching and monitoring, air rescue, and as a bomber. When used as a gunship, it's one of the most heavily armed aircraft in the United States Air Force.

Currently, the Warner Robins Air Logistics Center (WR-ALC) performs sustainment and depot maintenance on a number of US Air Force weapon systems. Specifically it supports AC-130, C-5 Galaxy, C-17 Globemaster III, C-130 Hercules, E-8 Joint STARS, EC-130, F-15 Eagle, HC-130, HH-60 Pave Hawk, MC-130, MH-53 Pave Low, RQ-4 Global Hawk, U-2 Dragon Lady, and UH-1 Iroquois aircraft. To accomplish this mission, the center employs nearly 13,000 people.

Sources include:
- A Land So Dedicated: The History of Houston County, Georgia by Bobbe Hickson
- News articles from The Macon Telegraph (Georgia)
- Articles & Artifacts on display at the Warner Robins Museum of Aviation
- Wikipedia.org

See also:


Photos © 2002 - 2017 S. Lincecum

30 June 2010

Database Review: "Semi-Centennial History of the Second Baptist Church of Atlanta, Georgia"

Semi-Centennial History of the Second Baptist Church of Atlanta, Georgia November 27-30, 1904 is a book edited and arranged by M. L. Brittain. It was digitized and put online by Ancestry about five or so years ago.

It's not very interesting reading, I must say, unless it applies directly to an ancestor (and it does not any of mine). The beginning lays out the program for the semi-centennial celebration and details the history of the church and its groups, such as the Women's Missionary and Benevolent Society.

A few sections should be highlighted, however. The ROLL-CALL OF THE DEAD is a "List of persons who died while members of the Second Baptist Church, from its Organization in 1854, to the Semi-Centennial Celebration November 27-30, 1904." This list consists of seven pages of names of individuals, when they joined the church and how, and their date of death. I estimate there to be over 300 names.

The Pastor and Deacons of the Second Baptist Church is a listing of individuals that served the church in those capacities. Short biographical sketches are given of each.

A final highlight is the ROLL OF THE CHURCH. More than 20 pages of members' names and addresses are given.

29 June 2010

Book Review: "History of Atlanta, Georgia"

History of Atlanta, Georgia: With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of Its Prominent Men and Pioneers is a book edited by Wallace P. Reed and published in 1889 by D. Mason & Co. of New York. Ancestry.com digitized and placed it online as part of their subscription service about five or so years ago. Google digitized it in 2006.

The preface written by Mr. Reed tells of the time in Atlanta's history:
THE fact that Atlanta is comparatively a young city will doubtless lead many to the conclusion that her annals are short and simple, and in such shape as to give a historian very little trouble.

It did not take long for the author of this work to find that it was a more difficult matter to obtain the facts and figures illustrating the growth and progress of Atlanta than would have been the case if he had attempted to write the history of a much older city. The presence among us of many of the old pioneers and early settlers, strange to say, has heretofore stood in the way of a systematic record of the city's onward march. Various suggestions, made from time to time, in regard to the organization of a Historical Society met with but little favor. Few citizens recognized the benefit of such a society, when they and their neighbors recollected nearly every important event that had occurred since the settlement of the place.
Mr. Reed goes on to state that he conferred with nearly all of the older citizens while compiling information for the book and obtained access to about twenty years' worth of files from the Atlanta Daily Intelligencer, as well as other newspapers. Mr. Reed believed that Atlanta's history was unique among the South because "The rapid growth of the city before the war; its rough experience between contending armies; its heroic defense in a siege of forty days; its occupation by Sherman; its complete destruction by his troops; its rebuilding; its active part in reconstruction, and its solution of the material, economic, and educational problems, incident to all cities, cannot fail to interest thoughtful readers."

The first few chapters, consisting of less than ten pages, deal with Atlanta's early history and removal of the Cherokees. Chapter 4 details the early white settlers. Noted settlers from 1844 to 1850 are listed. Chapters 5 and 6 are about the municipal history leading up to the Civil War. Chapters 7 through 13, well over 100 pages, are all about the Civil War and Reconstruction. Chapter 14 is again a municipal history leading from the war period to the then present time (1888). Law, medicine, education, religion, the press, banking, the railroad, trade, and manufacturing are discussed over the next several chapters. Each one including sketches of the individuals prominent in those areas.

Part II contains fifty more biographies. Some surnames are Adair, Calhoun, Goode, Inman, Lochrane, Norcross, Powell, Smith, and Van Winkle. This is but a small fraction of the names included in this section and especially this entire work. Illustrations regarding more than 40 individuals are included as well.

I've read most, if not all, of this book on Ancestry. Pages here and there in conjunction with research, and I do agree with Mr. Reed -- "it cannot fail to interest thoughtful readers."

Tombstone Tuesday: James A. Fortner (1845-1911)

James A. Fortner
2nd Lieut Co H 10 GA Inf
Confederate States Army
1845-1911

James Fortner soldiered with the Wilcox County Rifles.  He was buried in
Fortner Cemetery; Parrish, Florida.

Photo submitted by Benny P. Haimovitz to Wilcox Co GAGenWeb in
2005.

24 June 2010

Georgia Tornadoes

The Glossary of Meteorology defines a tornado as "A violently rotating column of air, in contact with the ground, either pendant from a cumuliform cloud or underneath a cumuliform cloud, and often (but not always) visible as a funnel cloud."

Climate, weather, and specifically storms have an effect on our ancestors' lives. Below is a list of tornadoes that had an impact on areas of Georgia, oldest first.

  • 15-20 March 1875 at 12:40 PM - 25+ dead, 65+ injured - There seems to have been 3 tornadoes that touched down in several counties. Those mentioned in local newspapers: Baldwin, Bibb, Chattahoochee, Columbia, Glascock, Hancock, Harris, Jefferson, Johnson, Jones, Laurens, McDuffie, Monroe, Talbot, Twiggs, Upson, Warren, and Wilkinson. To read accounts of the destruction from the Atlanta Daily Constitution, click here.
  • February 1884 at 2:00 PM - 22 dead, 100 injured - Most deaths occurred south of Jasper, Pickens County, near Cagle and Tate. Large homes were swept away.
  • 1 June 1903 at 12:45 PM - 98 dead, 180 injured - Gainsville Cotton Mill and nearby village in Hall County affected. One of the 25 deadliest in US history.
  • 23-24 April 1908 - Sixteen killer tornadoes struck from Texas to Georgia, resulting in 320 deaths. It became known as the Dixie Outbreak. At one point, a single tornado was 2 miles wide. Atlanta, Rome affected.
  • 28 March 1920 at 5:45 PM - 27 dead, 100 injured - LaGrange and Troup counties affected.
  • 10 February 1921 at 12:30 PM - 31 dead, 100 injured - An entire section of a lumber mill village of Gardner, Washington County literally vanished.
  • 25 April 1929 at 10:00 PM - 40 dead, 300 injured - Bulloch County, just north of Statesboro affected.
  • 21-22 March 1932 - Ten violent tornadoes smashed through Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee, costing 330 lives.
  • 2 April 1936 at 7:30 PM - 23 dead, 500 injured - Cordele, Crisp County affected.
  • 6 April 1936 at 8:27 AM - 203 dead, 1600 injured - Gainesville, Hall County affected. One of the 25 deadliest in US history. J. S. Pope, assistant managing editor of The Atlanta Journal, wrote the most comprehensive outline of the path of the storm for the 7 April 1936 issue: "The tornado started at the foot of West Washington street, and swished through the narrow valley that lies between Washington and West Broad. Nothing was left standing in that area. Broad river was the southeastern boundary of the destruction until the old Gainesville Midland depot was reached. There the path flared suddenly across the heart of the business district. The courthouse and city hall left but little for the wreckers to move away. At this point the path of the tornado was marked by Brenau avenue and Church street, though no damage occurred outside this range. At South Green street, as though deflected by the new federal building, the twister veered eastward and rode across the residential section lying between Spring and Summit streets. From the high ground by the razed courthouse the prospect toward New Holland was one of contorted wreckage with hardly a wall left standing. This course was maintained past New Holland."
  • 30 April 1953 at 5:10 PM - 19 dead, 300 injured - Warner Robins, Houston County and Dry Branch, Twiggs County affected. A tornado touched down on South Pleasant Hill Road and South Davis Drive, as well as cut a path across Warner Robins Air Force Base (in Houston County), before crossing the Ocmulgee River and into Dry Branch in Twiggs County. Eighteen people were killed and hundreds were injured in Warner Robins.
  • 13 March 1954 at 10:00 PM - 5 dead, 75 injured - Roberta, Knoxville, Lizella, Macon affected.
  • 25 December 1964 at 11:59 PM - 2 dead, 16 injured - Jones County affected.
  • 3 April 1974 at 6:40 PM - 9 dead, 54 injured - Homes were leveled at Sugar Alley and the northwest edge of Resaca; 7 died in the Sugar Hill area.
  • 3 April 1974 at 7:30 PM - 6 dead, 30 injured - Ball Ground, Yellow Creek, Juno affected.
  • 18 February 1975 at 3:08 PM - 2 dead, 50 injured - Peach County affected: a tornado came down the center of Main Street in Fort Valley, ripping the fronts off most of the buildings.
  • 24 March 1975 at 6:28 AM - 3 dead, 152 injured - Atlanta affected.
  • 8 November 1989 at 4:35 PM - 1 dead, 8 injured - Wilcox County affected.
  • 27-28 March 1994 - Afternoon and evening tornadoes ravage Georgia and Carolina, killing 42 and injuring 320.
  • 20 March 1998 at 6:20 AM - 12 dead, 171 injured - Hall County affected.
  • 9 April 1998 at 5:35 AM - 4 dead, 31 injured - Rye Path, Long County and Fort Stewart affected.
  • 13 February 2000 at 11:09 PM - 11 dead, 100 injured - Camilla affected.
  • 14 February 2000 - 6 dead, 30 injured - Meigs affected.